Sunday, February 10, 2008

The problem with free markets.

The top yahoo story today tells of a new
"American Idol themed attraction"
where park guests will publicly try out their singing
pipes and be judged.
Should they be judged to be able singers,
they will have a shot at being Famous.

(The central goal of modern man.)
to stand on that greatest of bully pulpits
and blow a raspberry at his brothers...
shouting," Nanny nanny I'm better than you!"

Older folks don't think like this... Not yet.
but our current geriatric crop
will all be dead soon enough
And before you know it, there wont be
anyone left
whose comfortable referring to something
as "tacky"

So hooray for us.

History's leavings.

Enough convincing already,
where does a bandito go
to sign up for this thing?

Well, its in Orlando.

And I just happen to be heading to Florida
for a Bandito conference a bit later this year,
Perhaps I will throw down my sombrero and
show these carnies just how muy padre I am.

I predict this new attraction will be a
raging success for Disney.
But I cant say that congratulations
are exactly in order.

Corporations may get fat by
"giving people what they want"
But speaking in anthropological terms,
"giving people what they want"
is just so much Social strip mining to me.
This is a phrase that I've coined to describe
any act that accelerates the erosion of civilization.
Feel free to use it,.
(you'd be surprised how often its useful)

If I get to meet Dr. Paul
I'll ask him about what he thinks of creating
a free market exception to combat tackiness.

Listen friends,
most people are fools.
Its a fact.
whether it is noble or not
to suffer these fools with dignity-
is a debate for another day.

But I'm certain of one thing,
The clock is spreading up exponentially

So even you non-fools out there
might wanna think about
putting on your party pants.

No comments: